Hurt2Help are running the TransAlpineRun 2010!

This September our husband and wife team will retrace the footsteps of Hannibal:

296km - 8 Days - 17700m Ascent - Across Germany, Austria and Italy.

All in aid of Facing Africa, a little-known British charity concerned with the prevention and cure of the merciless disease Noma.

Their surgical rehabilitation of survivors is heartbreakingly wonderful and more than worthy of buckets of our sweat in the hope of filling buckets with your donations!

We are Shelley and Gav Phillips. Follow our journey ..

Wednesday 8 September 2010

5th stage – Prettau – Sand in Taufers - 34.5km - thank you avalanche!

7:28.12hr (48)



OK. So we are still in the race but somewhat disconcerted to hear on the start line that our "easy" day is now 5km longer courtesy of an avalanche.

Bummer.

What was a notional "rest day" at 29km is now 34.5km!

No matter.

We have a plan.

Race to V3 (final food and checkpoint) today and every day on in. Finish off easy back to town conserving energy for the following stage well within the 10 hours cut-off.

Easy peasy .. just a couple of mountains to tame first.

Focussed ahead on our iconic strip of cloth (our TAR finishers shirt!) we are so determined to make the checkpoints today that the camera hardly comes out!

Though it is a great climb with just a little snow I am strong and energised today. Meeting the lovely camera man on the ascent he assures me I can “trust my shoes” .. what more do you need than that?


Snow is just white mud. Snow is just white mud. Snow is just ..
Over the razor sharp ridge line and into the valley I follow my boy with increasing speed as the pixie starts to grow inside.

Slips make me giggle now not squeal. Descending is becoming a treat not a torture. Indiana Jones’ theme is now my mantra as I whizz through the descent.

Strength and flow today. Strength and flow.

I love this! I am even started to keep my fleet footed boy in range!





One mountain down but another climb to go before V3 we are told it’s now 3km to the checkpoint.

But "ohh no it’s not"!

We end up in a post 6th hr/5th day sprint for the beeper as we spot the station across the valley! The last of my downhill fear is gone in tatters as we race for it and we make the time with ease in the end.


Phew! Sprint done .. easy home ..
Now to enjoy the views back into town.


Waterfalls and sculpture!

Aaaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment