Hurt2Help are running the TransAlpineRun 2010!

This September our husband and wife team will retrace the footsteps of Hannibal:

296km - 8 Days - 17700m Ascent - Across Germany, Austria and Italy.

All in aid of Facing Africa, a little-known British charity concerned with the prevention and cure of the merciless disease Noma.

Their surgical rehabilitation of survivors is heartbreakingly wonderful and more than worthy of buckets of our sweat in the hope of filling buckets with your donations!

We are Shelley and Gav Phillips. Follow our journey ..

Saturday 11 September 2010

8th Stage - Niederdorf - Sexten - 33.4km - The last day!

5:45.41hr (33)

Here we are! 

Ready to run on the final stage and still having fun .. at least that's me and Gavie!

Fuelled by a tummy of CocoPops and croissant (the only thing I seem to eat with no nauseous refusal) we are off!

Team Schnitzel a little gingerly today to say the least. Our boys make the most of the free knee and thigh taping provided.


For me today's excitement is tinged with a good dose of  melancholy.

The last quick V1. The last wonderfully grinding climb. The last skippingly joyful descent. The last and final relief of a V stop made within the cut-off.

The last thank you's to all the lovely workers at each V stop and our miraculous Rescue Team too. 

The last wave at our  photographers and travelling supporters. All those we have seen each day. Who cheered us on without even knowing our name. 

The last last last. 

Thank you thank you thank you!

The last climb ..
But NOT the last kisssssssss!
The boys and the Drei Zinnen
And as for that last climb? Bliss.

We push to the peak past the Jurassically massive proportions of the Drei Zinnen. Past the clapping, bell-ringing well-wishers perched at the cusp of the crest. Calling us on.


Cheers. Smiles. Wonder.


I almost stumble across the dipping track to valley beyond that holds our finish line. 


My body so relaxed flow seems too rigid a word.

Tears of joy and relief and awe well up inside me. I have my "moment" there. High above the world. 

I am so proud of myself I am nearly bursting. 

And the joy of joys is that I feel myself stronger now at this moment than ever before in my life.

Physically and emotionally.

A pinnacle I revel in. Not as a one and only but as the beginning of all I am, can and will be.

I love myself. I love my strong and wonderful man. I love my life. 

I love, love, love everything ..

And in that moment? I love the descending!!

Skipping, laughing, singing.

Down, down, down to Sexten.


Along the way we stop again to draw in the energy of this astounding place. My boy takes his own well earned moment here. 


The enormity of our joy and satisfaction are growing growing.

We meet the injured Schnitzel along the way and team up for a full Tabuk finish!

Our finish! Team H2H and Schnitzel
The training buddies reunited .. where I think the girls just take line honours .. don't you?

Burstingly proud.
Not fat. Not round. NOT faster going down .. 
Medals. Bubbles. Friends.

Sunshine.

Smiles.

Cold cold beer.

Friends.

Finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment